Growing up in the South, it was all about embracing your heritage, your southern culture and where you’re from. We have a certain type of pride that we hold close to our chests and it’s evident in our music. Well, rather, it used to be evident until the over popularized revolution of trash rap but even that has its place, if I’m honest. Southern hip hop is the greatest to ever exist and that’s, solely, my opinion but, again, this is my post!
With that said, I felt the need to rank the best ‘two-member’ groups to come out of the South and, boy, was that tough?! Check the list below and whether you agree or not, I want to hear what you think. For those that know me, the first one is obvious! Did I leave anyone off?
- Outkast – Andre 3000 and Big Boi. I mean seriously folks, it’s not even close. This tandem is better than any two-member group ever…PERIOD!! Yes, this includes the East and the West coasts.
- U.G.K. – Bun B and Pimp C (R.I.P. the Pimp).
- 8ball and MJG – Eightball the ‘Fat Mack’ and MJ fuckin’ G.
- Youngbloodz – J Bo and The Real Sean Paul aka Sharp Crease.
- Clipse – Pusha T and Malice.
- Big Tymers – Baby and Mannie Fresh.
- Dirty – The Pimp and The Gangster.
- Field Mob – Shawn J and Smoke.
and Magoo– I didn’t even want to include them but I did on the strength of Timbo and his influence. Someone once asked me who Magoo was.
The discography of the top four, alone, has pushed the culture of hip hop beyond corners and track suits and, personally, has sustained me past some of the worst days in my life. The bottom half aren’t to be slept on either but they never really produced great albums, except for maybe the Clipse. ‘Lord Willin” is an amazing album but they couldn’t follow that effort up with anything substantial. Of course the Big Tymers and their hilarious skits are worth mentioning. ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa, kemosabe, big, big, big ballin’ is my hobby!’